My Review: 3.5 stars
Quotes I liked:
I was grateful in a way only a daughter can be in that moment when she realizes that her mother is an extension of herself, another limb, another heart to bear the pain and shore you up at the same time.”
– “Love isn’t a buffet where you pick and choose the parts of your life you want to include in your relationship.”
– “She told me that being a mother is like being a gardener of souls. You tend your children, make sure the light always touches them; you nourish them. You sow your seeds, and reap what you sow. She called her children her flowers.”
– “Maybe we just need to open our minds to the possibility that the universe is bigger that we know, that there are things can’t be taught, things that can’t be understood anywhere except in our hearts.
– “Ava and I had always known that sticking our fingers in the dirt was a lot like holding the past and the present in your hands, understanding that decaying plants nourished the soil for new seedlings.”
– “Because sometimes we have to be a hero and do the right thing, even if it’s just for one person and even if nobody else notices.”